The South-South Cooperation speech by: Mr. Turki Faisal Al Rasheed
Crans Montana Forum April 7 to 10, 2010
Ladies and Gentlemen
I am delighted to be in Brussels coming from Riyadh and luckily we brought you some sunshine. It was 32 C in Riyadh and of course with a lot of sunshine.
Thank you for the opportunity to be a special guest for The South-South Cooperation as the new tool of Africa’s International Cooperation: which place for the European Union?
- South-South cooperation is a term historically used by policymakers and academics to describe the exchange of resources, technology, and knowledge between developing countries.
- The UN establish it to promote South-South trade and collaboration within its agencies
- Successful in decreasing dependence on the aid programs of developed countries
- Creating a shift in the international balance of power.
- New world order and counter the existing western dominance
- Strengthen and improve economical ties
- Peace and security
- Developments in the political arena
- In 2007 /2008, growth was 2 % ,despite global recession (Newsweek 2010)
- Expected growth this year will be 4.8 % ; the highest growth outside Asia.( IMF )
- Private consumption of goods and services has accounted for two thirds of Africa’s GDP growth.
- Emerging African middle class expected to be 300 M, out of 1 billion of the total population , (Vijay Majahan, Africa rising book 2009.
- Capital limitation.
- Corruption(Transparency International)
- Difficulty and cost of running a business. Is the highest in the world (IMF).
- Few states voices are heard. (only Rich/Powerful)
- Water efficient technologies.
- Desert Irrigation technologies
- Seeds, good animals breed
- Marketing intelligence
- Financing for the small stakeholders .
- Sustainable production systems to ensure food security/economic growth
- Africa and EU should build a Strategic Partnership for security and sustainable development.
- Cooperate and support to the development of communication technology.
- African government must strive to achieve Good and effective governance.
- Sustainable development on trade .
Leave a Reply